TWO SESSIONS STARTS TODAY
- China is holding the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) and the National People’s Congress (NPC), or Two Sessions, from today to March 11. The annual gatherings are China’s key political events, where the central government finalizes the plans and priorities for the year ahead.
BEIJING PARALYMPICS OPENS
- The Beijing 2022 Winter Paralympics will open today and last until March 13. One day before the games, the Chinese State Council Information Office issued “China's Parasports: Progress and the Protection of Rights” (En/Ch), a white paper reviewing the development of the parasports in the country.
- On Wednesday, the spokesman of the Chinese Embassy in Washington denounced the talk that China had asked Russia to stop its military operation during the Winter Paralympics.
ROUND 2 NEGOTIATION ON UKRAINE MAKES PROGRESS
- The second round of negotiations between Russia and Ukraine ended on Thursday without a cease-fire accord. However, the two sides tentatively agreed to build humanitarian corridors for aid and civilians. They will hold the third round of talks early next week.
BIDEN SIGNS #METOO LEGISLATION INTO LAW
- U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday signed the Ending Forced Arbitration act into law. The law, which bans forced arbitration involving sexual harassment or assault at workplaces, is the first major legislation in response to the #MeToo movement since 2017.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on U.S. - China relations.